When in need of a simple, delicious plant-based meal, we often turn to a Cookie and Kate recipe like this sweet potato, kale and chickpea soup.
Sweet Potato, Kale and Chickpea Soup
Adapted from CookieandKate.com
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 large yellow onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
2 large sweet potatoes (2 small to medium or 1 large), peeled and diced (about 3 cups)
Salt & pepper
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 cup uncooked farro (or kamut, quinoa, bulgar)
6 cups vegetable broth
1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
½ bunch of kale (4 ounces), chopped (about 3 cups)
- In a large soup pot, heat the oil over medium heat until shimmering. Stir in the onion, bell pepper, sweet potato and salt. Sauté for five minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onion starts to soften.
- Add the tomato paste and stir until the vegetables are coated, about 1 minute.
- Add the farro and vegetable broth, and stir to combine.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes.
- Test the farro for doneness—if it’s tender and cooked through, add the chickpeas and kale. Stir to combine, and cook for 5 more minutes, or until the kale is cooked to your liking. (If the farro is not done cooking yet, continue simmering until it’s tender, then proceed with the kale. This could take another 20 minutes, depending on the farro.)
- Taste, and season with more salt as needed.